1. WHY HAVE I RECEIVED A NOTICE? Chances are that you have recently applied for employment or a loan or credit extension of some kind. Since these companies pulled your credit they are obligated under law to send you a notice.
3. I AM POSITIVELY CERTAIN I HAVE NEVER APPLIED FOR EMPLOYMENT OR A LOAN WITH THIS COMPANY, WHAT CAN I DO? If you are CERTAIN you NEVER applied for employment or credit with this company then you may be a victim of identity theft. If you suspect you are a victim, we strongly suggest you do the following two things ASAP!! : a. Contact the credit reporting agencies and place a free Fraud Alert on your file and obtain a free copy of your credit report. b. File a police report. c. Contact affected companies letting them know and provide them with a copy of the police report.
4. WHAT LAWS OR REGULATIONS REQUIRE ME TO RECEIVE A NOTICE? The federal laws are the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA). The federal regulation is Regulation B.
5. DO THESE NOTICES BECOME A PART OF MY CONSUMER CREDIT FILE OR ARE FACTORS IN DETERMING MY SCORE? Adverse Action notices are never reported to any credit bureau. As such, they have absolutely no impact on your credit score.
6. DOES THIS NOTICE MEAN THAT I WILL NOT BE OFFERED THE JOB I APPLIED FOR AT A LATER TIME?NO!! You were sent the notice because you were not offered a position of employment at this particular time. As part of the employer's pre-employment screening process they pulled your credit and are required to send you a notice.
7. I HAVE THE ITEM I WANTED TO PURCHASE, DOES THIS NOTICE MEAN MY LOAN WAS NOT APPROVED AFTER ALL?NOT LIKELY!! The dealer/lender you purchased the item from likely shopped a multitude of financing sources in order to get you approved, regardless of your credit score. Since it only takes one approval for purchase, they are still required to send you a notice for the remaining unfunded offers. We would advise you to contact the lending source directly if you feel you still have doubts.
8. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS UNDER THESE FEDERAL LAWS ARE REGULATIONS? An explanation of your legal rights can easily be viewed by going to the FTC website (www.ftc.gov).
9. WHY IS 1ST STOP COMPLIANCE SENDING ME THIS NOTICE AND NOT THE COMPANY I DEALT WITH? 1st Stop Compliance is merely the messenger of the news. We have been contracted for the sole purpose of ensuring you were sent the required notice on behalf of the dealership, lender or HR department, within the required time period.
10. DOES 1ST STOP COMPLIANCE RETAIN ANY OF MY PERSONAL INFORMATION? AND IF SO, WHY? The ONLY information that 1st Stop Compliance SECURELY retains, for a period of 5 years, is a digital copy of the actual notice you were sent. As you might expect, on this notice appear your name and address, nothing more. The reason is simple, proof needs to be maintained that the correct notice was actually sent in a timely manner.
11. WHY HAVE I NEVER RECEIVED A NOTICE PRIOR TO THIS? The laws and regulations may have been around for awhile, but only recently has case law established mandating they be sent. The most noteable of which has been Treadway vs. Gateway and Padin vs. Oyster Point, both easily Googled.